List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: KSCD Magic
From:       Kyle Wheeler <kw837498 () oak ! cats ! ohiou ! edu>
Date:       1999-11-22 2:28:50

"Andrew B. Arthur" wrote:
> It is supposed to display a graphical load meter of the sound levels of the
> CD as it plays. For details, see
> http://kdecvs.stud.fh-heilbronn.de/cvsweb/~checkout~/kdemultimedia/kscd/kscd
> magic/README?rev=1.1&content-type=text/plain

Sounds really interesting...

> You need to run kscd-magic binary as root (gasp!) for it work correctly. Try
> suid to root for /usr/bin/kscd-magic if you want it to run correctly.

Yeek!

> However, I note that one person I talked to said it can be extremely CPU
> intensive

Yeah, no kidding! Mouse movement became positively GLACIAL after opening
that darn window. GICK!

> and may you may have trouble using /dev/dsp after using it, so
> beware.

Thankfully, /def/dsp seems unaffected. However, it STILL was pure black.
For all that CPU abusage, no pretty colors or anything. What's wrong?
(yes, a CD was playing) And, is it so processor intensive on other
platforms?

~Kyle Wheeler

--
Mac for Productivity. Linux for Development. Palm for Mobility. Windows
for

** Sent via the linuxppc-user mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/