List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: KSCD Magic
From:       "Andrew B. Arthur" <arthur99 () global2000 ! net>
Date:       1999-11-22 2:13:05

>From: Kyle Wheeler <kw837498@oak.cats.ohiou.edu>

> What is KSCD Magic? What is it supposed to do and why does it appear to
> do nothing on LinuxPPC?

It is supposed to display a graphical load meter of the sound levels of the
CD as it plays. For details, see
http://kdecvs.stud.fh-heilbronn.de/cvsweb/~checkout~/kdemultimedia/kscd/kscd
magic/README?rev=1.1&content-type=text/plain

> I know that it's part of KSCD (the KDE CD player), and that when I
> activate it, I get a small black window that makes my cursor flicker.

You need to run kscd-magic binary as root (gasp!) for it work correctly. Try
suid to root for /usr/bin/kscd-magic if you want it to run correctly.
However, I note that one person I talked to said it can be extremely CPU
intensive and may you may have trouble using /dev/dsp after using it, so
beware.

Thanks,

Andrew B. Arthur
arthur99@global2000.net