List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: Netscape 4.7?
From:       "Andrew B. Arthur" <arthur99 () global2000 ! net>
Date:       1999-10-08 2:01:09

Yes. http://www.linuxppc.com/

> I have tried to bug Netscape about
> this but they make it very hard to just email them a comment.

They probally don't want to be bugged by thousands of people.

> x86 support is on their page.

PowerPC Linux support was introduced yesterday. Not sure when / if Netscape
will be putting a binary up themselves in the unsupported directory.

> Is it correct that LinuxPPC compiles Netscape?

Well dpuertes can, but he is special, because he has signed NDAs with
Netscape in an effort to port to PowerPC Linux.

> I also thought I heard
> Netscape is Open Source?  If so where might I just download the source?

Nope. Netscape 4.x is not open source, because it uses several propriety
add-ons that Netscape doesn't own.

However Netscape 5.x betas (aka Mozilla 5.0 M9) are available under both the
NPL and the GPL-compatible MPL. However they are not nearly complete,
although you can compile them on the PowerPC, if you have enough time, ram,
more time.

Thanks,

Andrew Arthur a.k.a. AArthur
arthur99@global2000.net