List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: New to this list
From:       "AArthur" <arthur99 () global2000 ! net>
Date:       1999-03-30 12:05:26

> I'm new to this list and quite new to Linux too.
> I've successfully installed LinuxPPC Release 4 with kernel 2.1.24 on my
> PowerMac 8600/250 (with 96 Megs of RAM)

Sweet Machine.....

> and haven't changed anything (or
> virtually nothing) to the original configuration. Though everything seems
> to work, I'm experiencing some problems :
>
> - KDE is horribly slow even when very few processes are running. Windows
> sometimes take three or four seconds to open. I'm wondering if it's not
> just an overall performance problem, due for instance to the low speed of
> my SCSI disk (4 Gigabytes Quantum FireBall SE 5400 t/m) or the size of my
> swap partition (150 megs).

Try using KDE more, and the video speed accelerates as the X Server caches
up more of images, widgets of KDE (QT). For some reason Xpmac, the LinuxPPC
X Server, doesn't particularly care for QT, it seems especially slow with
QT. Probably the easiest solution is to just use KDE more, as it will
accelerate alot over the first few times. (Kind of like breaking a new thing
in).

It also maybe a video problem with Xpmac, the default X Server for LinuxPPC
R4. It's kind of slow, especially on low-endish machines. A good replacement
would be Xpmac_mga, which you install according to these directions:

-----

> - Kedit and some other applications (like the files manager) interprete my
> clicking on a scroll arrow for more than three seconds (without releasing
> the button) as if the button was blocked and kept down forever. This means
> that if I press the mouse button for, say four seconds, and then release
> it, the window will keep on scrolling down to the bottom of the page.

That's a QT bug, it causes the scrolling to be locked on, which really the
only way to fix that is to install a newer version of KDE or replace KDE
with GNOME. Also this is a KDE 1.0 spefic problem, you shouldn't have these
with a non-KDE app.

> - The default terminal (the one that has an icon on KDE launchpad) looks
> like crap and has terrible refreshment problems. Deleting characters leaves
> white spots, resizing the window distorts the text and the problem is I
> have to resize the window because its default size goes over the boundaries
> of my 17'' screen.

kterm is pretty buggy, the one you are talking about. It does seem to have
text refresh problem, so I exclusively use Eterm (enlightened terminal
application, really cool, does pseudo-transparency) or xterm.

> Can anyone tell me what is wrong with all that ? Sorry if these are
> classics.

They kind of are.... have to add to FOM someday...

Thanks,

A_Arthur
arthur99@global2000.net

[[ This message was sent via the linuxppc-user mailing list. Replies are ]]
[[ not forced back to the list, so be sure to  Cc linuxppc-user  if your ]]