List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    New to this list
From:       Sbastien Wailliez <wailliez () chez ! com>
Date:       1999-03-29 22:38:13

Hello all,

I'm new to this list and quite new to Linux too.
I've successfully installed LinuxPPC Release 4 with kernel 2.1.24 on my PowerMac \
8600/250 (with 96 Megs of RAM) and haven't changed anything (or virtually nothing) to \
the original configuration. Though everything seems to work, I'm experiencing some \
problems :

- KDE is horribly slow even when very few processes are running. Windows sometimes \
take three or four seconds to open. I'm wondering if it's not just an overall \
performance problem, due for instance to the low speed of my SCSI disk (4 Gigabytes \
Quantum FireBall SE 5400 t/m) or the size of my swap partition (150 megs).

- Kedit and some other applications (like the files manager) interprete my clicking \
on a scroll arrow for more than three seconds (without releasing the button) as if \
the button was blocked and kept down forever. This means that if I press the mouse \
button for, say four seconds, and then release it, the window will keep on scrolling \
down to the bottom of the page.

- The default terminal (the one that has an icon on KDE launchpad) looks like crap \
and has terrible refreshment problems. Deleting characters leaves white spots, \
resizing the window distorts the text and the problem is I have to resize the window \
because its default size goes over the boundaries of my 17'' screen. These are the \
reasons why I only use Xterm.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with all that ? Sorry if these are classics : I just \
haven't found answers in LinuxPPC FAQ.

Sébastien

P.S: sorry if you've already read this. It's just that I had posted before getting a \
confirmation I was registered to the list. So I'm posting again to make sure.

[[ This message was sent via the linuxppc-user mailing list. Replies are ]]
[[ not forced back to the list, so be sure to  Cc linuxppc-user  if your ]]