List:       linux-megaraid-devel
Subject:    Disk failure or not ?
From:       Stefan Praszalowicz <stefan () avedya ! com>
Date:       2003-02-13 15:38:34

Heya

Recently we've bought two 2650 boxes with megaraid based PERC 3/DC and
it seems we have a disk failure...

The MegaServ monitoring thing reports the following messages:

** Adapter 0 Channel 0 Target 0:
** Physical Drive[HITACHI DK32DJ-36MC D4] is in FAILED state.
** Reason_0=Failed command.

and a bunch of:

** Sense Data: errCode=0x70  valBit=0  segMent=0x00  SenseKey=4  ILI=0
EOM=0  FMRK=0  Address=0x00000000
+ASL=0x18  cmdSpec=0x0000  ASC=0x44  ASCQ=0x00 FRUC Code + Sense Key
Specific=0x0

Now the disk is FAILED and the logical volume DEGRADED.
We called dell support to ask for a disk replacement, they said it could
be whatever and asked us to rebuild the volume first.

So then I fire up the 'dellmgr' utility, enter rebuild and select my
disk, and I get:

** The size of this physical drive is less than size of
** configured drive.
** This drive cannot be selected for Rebuild.

So I'd like to know wether it could something else than a disk problem,
ie well known bug in the driver/firmware or whatever.

A strange thing I noticed is that the drive identified string ended up
with 'D4D4' and now ends up with 'D4' whereas the 7 other (non failed)
disks still contain 'D4D4'. I don't know if it's relevant but I find it
very strange :)

Misc infos:
I'm using 2.4.20-ac2

# cat /proc/megaraid/0/config
PERC 3/DC
Controller Type: 438/466/467/471/493
Controller Supports 40 Logical Drives
Controller / Driver uses 64 bit memory addressing
Base = f880b000, Irq = 16, Logical Drives = 2, Channels = 2
Version =1.72:3.27, DRAM = 128Mb
Controller Queue Depth = 254, Driver Queue Depth = 126

Thanks in advance !

--
Stefan Praszalowicz <stefan@avedya.com>
Avedya