List:       linux-megaraid-devel
Subject:    Re: MegaRAID problem...
From:       "Peter Joanes" <pjoanes () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2003-02-14 0:51:07

Thank you for the suggestions Matt.

I have downloaded the 1.18f driver from your website, and am using it now. In
order to compile it I had to comment out a line about highmem_io in
megaraid.h. Then I insmoded it without rebooting the machine and tried to
remount /home. For this to work I had to remove /dev/sda3 which was a symlink
to /dev/scsi/host0/bus2/target0/lun0/part3, but had moved to
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3. Below I have included the driver
output.

A couple of questions:

> > The card's BIOS reports that it is version "RAID II 1.63, March 16,
> > 1999", and
> And you've got the most recent firmware on it

A cursory look around on the internet turned up what appears to be newer
firmware. Dell's site had "PERCU84.exe" which is a self extracting zip which
rather inconveniently contains a "Disk eXPress" file that appears to be a DOS
executable containing a proprietary compressed floppy image format.
LSI's site had uf82-166.zip.
Can either firmware be used (and which is newer)?

> > Feb 11 03:30:56 blue kernel: Error: mailbox busy in isr!
> Here's your problem.  The firmware isn't responding any more, and the
> driver doesn't gracefully deal with this

The megaraid wasn't working this morning, so I restarted the machine, and had
to do it a few times (and different ways) before the "Firmware Initialising"
stage would work. I noticed that when it eventually started working I powered
on the machine and the drives were making the right noises straight away
(while the graphics card BIOS message was still up).
Does the firmware only operate when it can communicate with the motherboard
(or the drives)?
A seemingly unrelated problem I have had is that using the CM8738 sound whilst
there is load totally locks up the machine. Can these symptoms be some
problem with interrupts?

Thanks again,
	Peter Joanes.

megaraid: v1.18f (Release Date: Tue Dec 10 09:54:39 EST 2002)
megaraid: found 0x101e:0x9010:idx 0:bus 0:slot 11:func 0
scsi0 : Found a MegaRAID controller at 0xa010, IRQ: 10
megaraid: [U.81:1.63] detected 1 logical drives
megaraid: channel[1] is raid.
megaraid: channel[2] is raid.
scsi0 : LSI Logic MegaRAID U.81 254 commands 15 targs 5 chans 7 luns
scsi0: scanning virtual channel 0 for logical drives.
  Vendor: MegaRAID  Model: LD0 RAID5 17136R  Rev: U.81
scsi0: scanning physical channel 0 for devices.
  Vendor: RICOH     Model: MP6200S           Rev: 1.20
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
scsi0: scanning physical channel 1 for devices.
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2 p3 p4
reiserfs: checking transaction log (device 08:03) ...