List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: Direct-mapped Compact Flash on ARM9
From:       "James Graves" <jgraves () deltamobile ! com>
Date:       2004-07-02 14:47:40

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 04:32:17AM +0200, Bjorn Wesen wrote:

> what chipset is on the wlan card ?

I don't know the retail name for the card, it has an Atmel AT76C504A
chipset.  So I've been using the atmelwlandriver-3.2.4.4 on the laptop
for testing.  Seems to work fine there.

> You need to rip out the initializer in the driver, the code that talks to
> the PCMCIA layer. Get it to either set up the base I/O and IRQ to hardcoded
> values, or probe the CIS on the CF card (in much the same way the PCMCIA
> code does it) manually. After that, the rest of the driver would access it
> just like a normal ISA or PCMCIA device.
>
> I've done it for a couple of CF WLAN cards and it wasn't difficult on any of
> them.

OK, it looks like I will be doing this quick hack, as well as working on
a more general interface for CF cards like Greg Ungerer was talking about.

We've got a demo coming up.  You know how that is.  :-)

I grabbed the config base and IO base for the WLAN card from when it was
inserted the laptop.  I need to set up the interrupt, pay attention to
bus timing and 8/16 bit wide issues (the WLAN card is 16-bit wide), and
I'm off to the races.

When I get something decent going as far as a general-purpose interface
(along the lines of the other thin-layer PCMCIA controller drivers),
I'll let the list know.

I do appreciate everyone's help.  Thank you.

James Graves
Delta Mobile Software                               http://www.deltamobile.com