List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: Direct-mapped Compact Flash on ARM9
From:       Deepak Saxena <dsaxena () plexity ! net>
Date:       2004-07-02 16:22:43

On Jul 02 2004, at 14:57, Greg Ungerer was caught saying:
> The one thing that has caused me grief though is that I need to
> use appropriate in/out calls now, for different drivers. For example
> the default in/out on the ixp425 architecture platforms point at
> the PCI bus. I want that for PCI drivers. But now I need the in/out
> functions for any pcmcia/pccard drivers to point at the expansion
> bus space mapped in my simple pcmcia driver. Anyone have any comments
> on a clean way to handle this?

Unfortunately the whole read/write API is a mess b/c it is supposedly
ther only for PCI drivers but everthing from flash to 8250.c uses it. :(
I had a similar situation with the IXDP2801 board where the serial
driver does readl/writel and I didn't want to swap the words. The only
way to do this that I could really think of was to static-map the
serial ports and then have my read/write macros check the address range
of the incoming address to determine how to handle it.  Since there is
no device context associated with the incoming address, it seemed like
the only way to really do it.

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - dsaxena at plexity dot net - http://www.plexity.net/

"Unlike me, many of you have accepted the situation of your imprisonment and
 will die here like rotten cabbages." - Number 6