List:       linux-390
Subject:    Re: Autoyast question
From:       Mark Ver <markver () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2009-10-23 0:28:12

Try hitting 'enter' or 'ctrl' a couple of times on the console and see if
it puts up a login prompt.

If you did the installation via "VNC" or an "X server" display then by
default the "ssh" port is "closed".   If you were doing a manual
installation, one of the yast stage2 panels allows you to toggle it "open"
but not sure if this happens automatically with an autoyast install (I
think it depends on whether you code it in specifically with a <firewall>
section in the autoinst.xml).    If you can log in on the console you
should be able to check the status of the firewall with "iptables -L". Use
your favorite method to disable the firewall, log in, and use yast to open
the ssh port more permanently.

What we normally do in our shop is do the VNC install but also code in a
UseSSH=1 so that it opens both protocols for the installation (allows us
to connect in with ssh for debugging as well as run the automated panels
on VNC).  So on the parmfile used for loading the installer image we would
include something like:
        UseVNC=1 VNCPassword=xxxxxxxx  UseSSH=1 SSHPassword=yyyyyyyy

This method seems to open both ports for us (even if you did not
explicitly code in a firewall section in the autoinst.xml).

- Mark Ver

office:  Building 710 / Room 2-RF-10
phone: (845) 435-7794  [tie 8 295-7794]