List:       linux-390
Subject:    SLES10 SP3 Installation Tidbit for Layer 2 NICs
From:       Mark Post <mpost () novell ! com>
Date:       2009-10-22 23:44:15

I just learned something unfortunate about installing SLES10 SP3 using Layer 2 \
network interfaces on z/VM.

For people like me that want to have a complete parmfile so they're not being \
prompted for all the network information every time an install is done, this might \
bite you.  When you specify the NICs MAC via the OSAHWaddr parameter, it might be \
tempting to do something like a "q nic VDEVNO" and cut and paste the MAC address from \
that into the parmfile.  It will work in that you won't get prompted for it during \
the network setup part, but it will cause the installer to write out malformed \
configuration files for the interface, and when the system reboots for the second \
phase of the install, your network won't come up.  The key appears to be that z/VM \
displays the MAC as 02-00-00-00-00-20
and Linux expects it to be
02:00:00:00:00:20

So, if you do cut and paste the z/VM display, make sure you replace the hyphens with \
colons.

Mark Post