List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: qt4.xml -> qt.xml
From:       Milian Wolff <mail () milianw ! de>
Date:       2014-02-23 12:57:59

On Sunday 23 February 2014 05:50:14 Alex Turbov wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 9:42 PM, Milian Wolff <mail@milianw.de> wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I've now fixed the issues I had with the Qt4 highlighter. Now it works
> > very
> > nice, esp. the Qt specific stuff is highlighted by default which is what
> > one
> > expects - after all one explicitly picked the Qt4 highlighter and not the
> > C++
> > highlighter...
> >
> > Anyhow, since at work I have to cope with both Qt4 and Qt5 applications,
> > I'd
>
> Disagree! I'd prefer to see highlighting for appropriate Qt version
> depending on a project kind!
> When I'm doing Qt4 or Qt5 stuff I want to see only really available
> classes/extensions/macros, so I can be sure
> if smth has been highlighted it can be really used. It is why I vote for
> separate qt4.xml and qt5.xml.

A highlighter is not a semantic analyzer. Please use a proper IDE or your
clang integration plugin to find such problems.

> Same I'd like to see for Python 2 and 3 -- both are quite (noticeable)
> different.

Here as well, just plugin a python linter if you want to spot syntactic
errors.

> > like to extend the list of highlighted things. Personally I don't see a
> > need
> > for having a Qt4.xml and a Qt5.xml. It would be extremely cumbersome to
> > switch
> > modes everytime one works on a Qt4 or Qt5 project...
>
> you don't need to do it "everytime" and it is "cumbersome" as hard as to
> make a .kateconfig for your particular project
> (or leaving a comment w/ appropriate modeline at the end of a file... which
> is most of the time, at least for me, was generated
> from a template)

It is very cumbersome to write this, esp. for projects which support multiple
Qt versions at the same time.

I'm really getting frustrated by your attitude, I have to say. You are a very
experienced Kate user/developer, you can easily make the editor behave in the
special way you want it to. But why do you insist on enforcing this on all
other users? I don't get that.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff