List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Non-free file in pate js_utils plugin
From:       J._Pablo_Martín_Cobos <goinnn () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-12-04 11:28:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

2013/12/4 Philipp A. <flying-sheep@web.de>

> 2013/12/4 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at>
>
>> Unfortunately, that is not true. (Wikipedia is right.) The issue is that
>> JSHint is derived from JSLint, so the code derived from JSLint is of
>> course
>> still covered by the JSLint license, considering that the author refused
>> any
>> relicensing requests (except, ridiculously, IBM's).
>

> not exactly. i think i=92ve figured it out:
>
> JSHint stable (2.x) has a main file that=92s derived from JSLint. and tha=
> is under doug=92s license. (so we can=92t ship JSHint stable)
>
> HOWEVER, JSHint is currently being rebuilt, and as a result, jshint.js wa=
> totally rewritten =96 so no derived code remains in JSHint=92s master bra=
nch.

> so we can ship the unstable JSHint version if we want. also, as you said,
> there are alternatives =96 while i don=92t think OCaml and Java code is
> practival to be included, =93JavaScript Lint=94 is python!
>
> 2013/12/4 J. Pablo Mart=EDn Cobos <goinnn@gmail.com>
>
> If jslint is an external dependence like the before solution is this a
>> problem?
>>
>> When Alejandro Blanco and I coded this feature we used a wrapper coded b=
>> him for this reason:
>>
>> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyjslint
>>

> no, because the code still calls into code using doug=92s license:
>
> pyjslint *says* it=92s BSD licensed, but it still downloads JSLint, so wh=
en
> using it, the user ends up with nonfree code on his PC. so pyjslint
> basically lies about its license.

pyjslint is python wrapper of JSLint, and its code is BSD-licensed. It is
true that it downloads jslint and invokes it using node.js, but how do
changes the fact that the python wrapper is BSD-licensed?

jslint is released under a modified MIT license. It is arguably if that
license is free software or not. But even in the case of it not being free
(arguably), why can't a BSD-licensed software interact with it? Nowhere in
the BSD license is that restriction. And since it is pyjslint who downloads
the jslint file, it is not present in the KDE repository, so KDE is not
distributing an arguably non free software, even if the jslint license
grants freedom of distribution.