List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Non-free file in pate js_utils plugin
From:       "Philipp A." <flying-sheep () web ! de>
Date:       2013-12-04 10:59:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

2013/12/4 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at>

> Unfortunately, that is not true. (Wikipedia is right.) The issue is that
> JSHint is derived from JSLint, so the code derived from JSLint is of course
> still covered by the JSLint license, considering that the author refused
> any
> relicensing requests (except, ridiculously, IBM's).

not exactly. i think i've figured it out:

JSHint stable (2.x) has a main file that's derived from JSLint. and that is
under doug's license. (so we can't ship JSHint stable)

HOWEVER, JSHint is currently being rebuilt, and as a result, jshint.js was
totally rewritten – so no derived code remains in JSHint's master branch.

so we can ship the unstable JSHint version if we want. also, as you said,
there are alternatives – while i don't think OCaml and Java code is
practival to be included, "JavaScript Lint" is python!

2013/12/4 J. Pablo Martín Cobos <goinnn@gmail.com>

> If jslint is an external dependence like the before solution is this a
> problem?
>
> When Alejandro Blanco and I coded this feature we used a wrapper coded by
> him for this reason:
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyjslint

no, because the code still calls into code using doug's license:

pyjslint *says* it's BSD licensed, but it still downloads JSLint, so when
using it, the user ends up with nonfree code on his PC. so pyjslint
basically lies about its license.