2013/12/4 Philipp A. <flying-sheep@web.de>
2013/12/4 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at>
Unfortunately, that is not true. (Wikipedia is right.) The issue is that
JSHint is derived from JSLint, so the code derived from JSLint is of course
still covered by the JSLint license, considering that the author refused any
relicensing requests (except, ridiculously, IBM's).

not exactly. i think i’ve figured it out:

JSHint stable (2.x) has a main file that’s derived from JSLint. and that is under doug’s license. (so we can’t ship JSHint stable)

HOWEVER, JSHint is currently being rebuilt, and as a result, jshint.js was totally rewritten – so no derived code remains in JSHint’s master branch.

so we can ship the unstable JSHint version if we want. also, as you said, there are alternatives – while i don’t think OCaml and Java code is practival to be included, “JavaScript Lint” is python!