List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Feature request: include syntax highlighting rules from modeline
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke () tibco ! com>
Date:       2006-10-30 18:43:57

Anders Lund wrote:
> I plan to make it very easy to make mixed syntax highlight, like used with PHP
> (commonly mixed with HTML, but you can use PHP with any text format, as well
> as Mason, EmbPerl, eperl, jsp, asp etc.
>
> Currently this requires generating special versions of each file in the mix or
> included by any file in the mix.
>
> Instead I will make it possible for a hl to define a rule set which can be
> evaluated in every included context. That will make it possible to create a
> mixed context in very few lines, or even by selecting components for the mix
> in a mode line or in a dialog.

Does this mean KATE4 will be able to do things like highlight here-docs
in bash scripts? That would be very useful! It would be nice if there
was a way to tint the background color, though, so you could tell such
highlighting apart from the upper-level highlighting. (I don't think
overriding the colors as we currently do with <IncludeRules/> would
work, since I assume we are talking about arbitrary highlighters rather
than pre-defined sets.)

This brings up another wish that I had tried to code at one point and
couldn't get to work right: color inheritance. I.e. it would be really
nice if highlighters like C/C++ could use the colors specified for the
Doxygen highlighter as "default" rather than just 'dsXyz' (did that make
any sense?).

--
Matthew
This message will self destruct in ten centuries.