List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Kate & Kyzis colaboration ;)
From:       Mickael Marchand <marchand () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-30 15:22:23

Hi everyone,

(sorry for the delay , I was off during the weekend and quite busy today ;)

so, this looks like a nice idea :)

I spend most of my time in the core of yzis (libyzis) and haven't much
time on working on making it beautiful (like Kate GUI ;),
so for Yzis concerns, it would indeed be a nice idea.
I will be pleased to work with you in order to make this happen, of
course this means properly defining/improving KTextEditor.

Kyzis does not do much complicated stuff at this time, so it should be
quite easy to make it integrate into Kate's GUI.
There are on the other side some more stuff that we want to go into the
GUI like being to split windows, rearrange them from the command line
etc, but this should not be too hard to do. We would need some common
components I guess, like the konsole part which first come to my mind.
Kyzis also needs more specific stuff, mainly it has to be able to
control some part of the GUI (opening/closing windows mainly). There are
2 ways to do that, either through DCOP (which I do in kdevelop for now),
either through a common interface (would be nicer imho).

other than that, this should be quite easy I think (at least from yzis
point of view :)

I have read your posts about ktexteditor for 4.0, this looks all good
for me and I don't have much to comment about it for now ;)
Our KTextEditor usage is pretty trivial in yzis at the moment, but with
time we will probably move forward and get a better one.
Of course if you had new interfaces or modify the old ones, we will do
our best to support them completely.

while we are it, it would be nice to see if we can arrange some common
format for the Lua auto-indentation stuff that was added in kate lately.
we haven't much developped ours (only 2/3 indent files for basic stuff)
but the basis are the same I think so it should be quite easy to support
the same format
basically that would consist on defining a common basic Lua interface
(gettext(), line(), col() ...) for the editor that can be used from the
scripts and a common way to call the indenter (choosing entry points
names in the autoindent scripts)

Cheers,
Mik