List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Kate & Kyzis colaboration ;)
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () babylon2k ! de>
Date:       2005-05-30 17:43:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 30 May 2005 17:22, Mickael Marchand wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> (sorry for the delay , I was off during the weekend and quite busy today ;)
>
> so, this looks like a nice idea :)
fine ;)

> I spend most of my time in the core of yzis (libyzis) and haven't much
> time on working on making it beautiful (like Kate GUI ;),
> so for Yzis concerns, it would indeed be a nice idea.
> I will be pleased to work with you in order to make this happen, of
> course this means properly defining/improving KTextEditor.
yes, kate UI has some similar situation, beside work on the part, the app gets
not that much polish, beside by anders, who does a great job here ;)

> Kyzis does not do much complicated stuff at this time, so it should be
> quite easy to make it integrate into Kate's GUI.
> There are on the other side some more stuff that we want to go into the
> GUI like being to split windows, rearrange them from the command line
> etc, but this should not be too hard to do. We would need some common
> components I guess, like the konsole part which first come to my mind.
> Kyzis also needs more specific stuff, mainly it has to be able to
> control some part of the GUI (opening/closing windows mainly). There are
> 2 ways to do that, either through DCOP (which I do in kdevelop for now),
> either through a common interface (would be nicer imho).
Kate does support splitting and so on, not thought interface, but hey, we could
agree on some "app proxy" interface for this, like the browserextension or whatever

> while we are it, it would be nice to see if we can arrange some common
> format for the Lua auto-indentation stuff that was added in kate lately.
> we haven't much developped ours (only 2/3 indent files for basic stuff)
> but the basis are the same I think so it should be quite easy to support
> the same format
> basically that would consist on defining a common basic Lua interface
> (gettext(), line(), col() ...) for the editor that can be used from the
> scripts and a common way to call the indenter (choosing entry points
> names in the autoindent scripts)
our lua stuff is in child age ;) guess many changes will happen there, and yes, some \
common subset of methods would be nice to agree on.

If trunk is kde4 branch once again, I will start on working that Kate supports \
KTextEditor parts native, and add the missing interfaces needed to get this first \
running, which we can adjust later to be more generic if needed.

Our both teams would benefit from this merge, Kate would get an additional editor \
style, which vim users like, and yzis would have a ui which ships per standard with \
any kde out there and which is already used by lots of people ;)

cu
Christoph

--
Christoph Cullmann
KDE Developer, kde.org Maintainance Team