List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: The future of tiling? [WAS: remove Tiling specific "switch focus" shortcuts]
From:       heikki naski <heikki.naski () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-03-13 19:57:52

>> Am 10.03.2012, 07:29 Uhr, schrieb Martin Gr=E4=DFlin <mgraesslin@kde.org=
>:
> If it is not able to work with multiple screens and
> does not feel integrated who would use it? Furthermore are the users who =
use
> tiling at all in the targeted user group of KDE? I know quite a lot of pe=
ople
> using tiling window managers - none of them uses KDE.

I used to run Ion3 for a couple of years with some experimentations
with wmii2 and
sometimes I really miss the automatic tiling features these used to provide=
 me.

I'm very interested in having some sort of a tiling feature (or automatic
resizing) and I use just one screen. There are a lot of ways to implement
tiling and a solution for non-hardcore-tilers might even be just a few
shortcuts which resize windows automatically. There are some already which =
work
without tiling enabled, like Quick Tile Window to the Left/Right. Are these=
 also
considered to be dropped at some point?

I used to have the wm by default creating all new windows maximized and
provide me a way to tile them when needed, sometimes all of the windows
and sometimes just split the screen in two. Without tiling on Kwin, resizin=
g two
windows to share the screen side-by-side requires just a little work,
snapping the
windows to the sides of screen or using the Quick Tile Window shortcuts. Ha=
ving
two windows horizontally maximized and sharing the vertical space seems to
require manually resizing the windows.

I wasn't aware of this tiling feature in KDE before and just today I
started trying
it out. I'm going to keep using it for a couple of days and I'm wondering if
there is some documentation or specs about it somewhere?

> Now what has it to do with scripting? Well scripting could be a nice solu=
tion
> to keep the current state of a tech demo.

I'll try to see if I could start experimenting with the scripting for solut=
ions.