List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Review Request: Only reserve required electric borders for ElectricAlways
From:       Phil Turmel <philip () turmel ! org>
Date:       2012-02-26 1:56:48

On 02/25/2012 03:46 PM, Thomas Lübking wrote:
> Am 25.02.2012, 16:59 Uhr, schrieb Phil Turmel <philip@turmel.org>:
>
> > What I'd really like to see is the complete set of Kwin Global Keyboard
> > Shortcuts offered as individual screen edge actions.  I haven't
> > figured out how to do this yet.  "Fairly easy" is relative :-)
>
> The "hard" aspect here is that we'd certainly need a new GUI - popups don#t scale \
> that great.

Indeed they don't, but the feature really is a single choice from the list of \
actions, and a given action can appear on multiple edges or corners.

> > Better to start with an imperfect solution than no solution at all, IMHO.
> Yes, and best start with the right one =P
> (Everytime you add a new visible string, that causes a bunch of work for a bunch of \
> translators, at some point they might fell pissed. Also you should avoid to throw a \
> new UI and config settings at your users with every minor version)

No new strings would be good.  One new string is better than many new strings, and a \
new settings gui might need them.

> > your comment that only applications that have 1px sensitive zones are unusable \
> > falls afoul of it.
> Yesno. "Nitpicking" - they're hard to use, not unusable. But as mentioned:
> generic and actually best dynamic border protection would be ideal (another option \
> would be to add window rules to block electric borders while they're on screen, \
> similar to the compositor blocker)

Window rules are really hard to work with, IMO.  I don't think that route is very \
attractive.

> > The general solution is to offer all Kwin shortcuts.  It might even be offered in \
> > 4.8, as all of those strings exist.
> ... in the wrong kcm, i fear (but don't know for sure) - kwinbindings is all \
> I18N_NOOP, so the strings are probably translated somewhere else, no idea

I noticed the _NOOP suffix but didn't understand the significance.

> > I'm not following.  Are you suggesting separating desktop grid layout from the \
> > visible pager layout in panels?
> That is possible anyway (since you can configure the desktop grid independently)

I don't seem to be able to do this in my install of 4.8.0 (gentoo).  All pagers on \
all desktops and panels show the actual grid layout.  So it is not possible to \
configure an actual 1Rx4C layout and have a 2x2 pager on the panel.  Did I miss \
something?

> > In the general case, a user could configure a switch to desktops 1,2,3,4 in the \
> > four corners, leaving all four edges available to such applications.  I'd like \
> > that.  In the meantime, my patch makes the equivalent of "previous desktop" and \
> > "next desktop" available on the left and right edges.  Your patch does not.
> That is why your patch is a special case solution and my patch is just "avoid doing \
> useless stuff" - w/o actually attempting to fix anything in particular.

But mine is extremely useful to me, and I suspect most vbox and krdc users would find \
it useful.

> "Meantime" is not exactly the correct term, since 4.9 will enter in 5 months or so, \
> so i'd suggest to just do it right until then.

OK.  That's a reasonable time frame for me to learn to do this in a mutually \
agreeable way.  And I'm running my patch now, so I'm not suffering while we figure \
that out.

> If you're interested i'll guide you getting the shortcuts there (we can just \
> redefine preprocs and use kwinbindings in the kcms and twice in Workspace)

I did look over the kwinbindings, so I have a general idea what the code will have to \
do.  I also followed the code for the effects bindings...  made my head hurt.  I'll \
take you up on the offer of guidance.  Let me do some investigating over the next \
week or so, so I'll be able to ask intelligent questions.

Regards,

Phil

ps.  It doesn't seem that reviewboard picks up these emails.  Is that a problem?  I \
greatly prefer e-mail for development discussions. \