List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Review Request: Only reserve required electric borders for ElectricAlways
From:       Thomas_Lübking <thomas.luebking () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-02-25 20:46:11

Am 25.02.2012, 16:59 Uhr, schrieb Phil Turmel <philip@turmel.org>:

> What I'd really like to see is the complete set of Kwin Global Keyboard
> Shortcuts offered as individual screen edge actions.  I haven't
> figured out how to do this yet.  "Fairly easy" is relative :-)

The "hard" aspect here is that we'd certainly need a new GUI - popups
don#t scale that great.

> Better to start with an imperfect solution than no solution at all, IMHO.
Yes, and best start with the right one =P
(Everytime you add a new visible string, that causes a bunch of work for a
bunch of translators, at some point they might fell pissed. Also you
should avoid to throw a new UI and config settings at your users with
every minor version)

> your comment that only applications that have 1px sensitive zones are
> unusable falls afoul of it.
Yesno. "Nitpicking" - they're hard to use, not unusable. But as mentioned:
generic and actually best dynamic border protection would be ideal
(another option would be to add window rules to block electric borders
while they're on screen, similar to the compositor blocker)

> The general solution is to offer all Kwin shortcuts.  It might even be
> offered in 4.8, as all of those strings exist.
... in the wrong kcm, i fear (but don't know for sure) - kwinbindings is
all I18N_NOOP, so the strings are probably translated somewhere else, no
idea

> I may not have been clear:  my son likes the switching on all four
Ah, ok - the doublechange. Nasty as hell ;-)

> I'm not following.  Are you suggesting separating desktop grid layout
> from the visible pager layout in panels?
That is possible anyway (since you can configure the desktop grid
independently)
What i'm saying is that's it's more sane to have a panel pager unrelated
to the configured desktop layout than the electric borders unrelated from
the configured desktop layout.
Reasons for panel pagers could be that they reside in a slim vertical
panel, but the desktops are layouted as grid or horizontally, a cube
cannot represent a grid, etc.

> In the general case, a user could configure a switch to desktops 1,2,3,4
> in the four corners, leaving all four edges available to such
> applications.  I'd like that.  In the meantime, my patch makes the
> equivalent of "previous desktop" and "next desktop" available on the
> left and right edges.  Your patch does not.
That is why your patch is a special case solution and my patch is just
"avoid doing useless stuff" - w/o actually attempting to fix anything in
particular.
"Meantime" is not exactly the correct term, since 4.9 will enter in 5
months or so, so i'd suggest to just do it right until then.

If you're interested i'll guide you getting the shortcuts there (we can
just redefine preprocs and use kwinbindings in the kcms and twice in
Workspace)

Cheers,
Thomas