List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: broken virtual desktops with kwin
From:       Thomas_Lübking <thomas.luebking () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-02-25 0:09:29

Am 25.02.2012, 00:57 Uhr, schrieb James <jtp@nc.rr.com>:

> So far things work perfectly, except for one glaring issue that I
> can't look past: virtual desktops. For some reason when kwin kicks
> off, only the desktop I'm currently executing the kwin --replace
> functions. All the other virtual desktops (a) do not have a
> background, (b) do not respond to the right-moues click on the deskotp
> area, and (c) are missing completely when rotating my cube.

> Note that the kwin seems to recognize all of the desktops when I go
> into the configuration utility, but for some reason does not seem to
> play nice. I can't imagine living with one virtual desktop when I
> normally run 6 - 8 on most systems.
>
> Take a look: http://i.imgur.com/mS4ZH.png
>
> Any thoughts / ideas on how to get this to work would be greatly
> appreciated!

This usually means the "desktop" window isn't tagged / detected as desktop
resp. not on all virtual desktops ("sticky") - therefore the screenshot is
not really helpful ;-)
a) what powers your desktop (plasma-desktop shell, nautilus, pcmanfm,
whatever xfce has ...)
b) open a terminal and run "xprop > desktop.props", click the desktop and
attach the output file
c) other (non netwm compliant) windowmanagers can theoretically break
those properties, icewm is a good candidate. Restarting the desktop
process does.
d) as a temporary workaround, run "kcmshell4 kwinrules", set up a rule for
your desktop (use "detect" and click it) to be "sticky", ie. on all
desktops.

Cheers,
Thomas