List:       kwin
Subject:    broken virtual desktops with kwin
From:       James <jtp () nc ! rr ! com>
Date:       2012-02-24 23:57:47

I'm moving away from Compiz since it's buggy and being removed from my
distro's supported packages.

I've tinkered with kwin and love it, but am not all that fond of KDE.
So the goal is to use kwin (kwin --replace) instead of xfwm4 (xfce4's
window manager) in my xfce4 environment.

So far things work perfectly, except for one glaring issue that I
can't look past: virtual desktops. For some reason when kwin kicks
off, only the desktop I'm currently executing the kwin --replace
functions. All the other virtual desktops (a) do not have a
background, (b) do not respond to the right-moues click on the deskotp
area, and (c) are missing completely when rotating my cube.

Note that the kwin seems to recognize all of the desktops when I go
into the configuration utility, but for some reason does not seem to
play nice. I can't imagine living with one virtual desktop when I
normally run 6 - 8 on most systems.

Take a look: http://i.imgur.com/mS4ZH.png

Any thoughts / ideas on how to get this to work would be greatly appreciated!