List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Lockscreen branch
From:       Farhad Hedayati-Fard <hf.farhad () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-08-16 16:13:17

Hi guys,
First of all, sorry for the radio silence around me in the last few
days... I've been so busy these days (some family problems...)

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 8:07 PM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin@kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 August 2011 12:40:12 Alex Merry wrote:
>> This is a question mainly aimed at Farhad, and possibly Martin.
>>
>> In the branch farhad_hf/lockscreen, why is the screensaver/locker
>> support in kwin compiled as a library?
>>
>> The way it is done is actually broken (the stuff gets compiled in twice,
>> which causes major issues with global statics), but I can fix it in one
>> of two ways: get it to link properly, or just include the code directly
>> in kwin.
> given the way kwin is currently build, including the code directly would be the proper
> approach, I think. And in the long run I expect that something inside the screenlocker might
> start to use KWin internal functions.
>>
>> I'm not sure I see the point of compiling it as a library, as it
>> pollutes the library directory (it should really have a different name
>> than "libsaverengine", I think)
> erm yes :-)
>> and it slows the kwin startup time.  No
>> other applications are using it (so there's no "sharing" advantage) and
> At the moment I don't see a reason for using a library except keeping the CMake files cleaner.
> In future I expect that parts of it (the unlock UI) will be used by different parts of kwin (effect
> and non-composited) which would require these parts to be put into an own library.
>
> I just had a look at the CMakeLists.txt and that needs some further cleanup anyway (e.g. we
> are always non windows when building kwin).
>
> I assume it's just a library because it used to be a library in KRunner, or is there another
> reason, Farhad?
I tried everything that came into my mind to build screenlocker
without making it a library, but everything else gave me compile
errors.
I thought that the best way to do this was creating a target in
screenlocker and depending on that target in kwin, but then moc files
of saverengine and the dbus interface didn't get generated even when I
used kde4_automoc to generate them, and I couldn't find the source of
problem and got stuck! then I tried making it a library and it
worked... So I just pushed it to the branch for now.
I'd be so happy if someone could help me to find out what's the
correct way of doing this cmake stuff and how to do it!

Cheers,
Farhad