List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Lockscreen branch
From:       Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-08-16 15:37:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 16 August 2011 12:40:12 Alex Merry wrote:
> This is a question mainly aimed at Farhad, and possibly Martin.
>
> In the branch farhad_hf/lockscreen, why is the screensaver/locker
> support in kwin compiled as a library?
>
> The way it is done is actually broken (the stuff gets compiled in twice,
> which causes major issues with global statics), but I can fix it in one
> of two ways: get it to link properly, or just include the code directly
> in kwin.
given the way kwin is currently build, including the code directly would be the proper
approach, I think. And in the long run I expect that something inside the screenlocker might
start to use KWin internal functions.

> I'm not sure I see the point of compiling it as a library, as it
> pollutes the library directory (it should really have a different name
> than "libsaverengine", I think)
erm yes :-)
> and it slows the kwin startup time.  No
> other applications are using it (so there's no "sharing" advantage) and
At the moment I don't see a reason for using a library except keeping the CMake files cleaner.
In future I expect that parts of it (the unlock UI) will be used by different parts of kwin (effect
and non-composited) which would require these parts to be put into an own library.

I just had a look at the CMakeLists.txt and that needs some further cleanup anyway (e.g. we
are always non windows when building kwin).

I assume it's just a library because it used to be a library in KRunner, or is there another
reason, Farhad?

Cheers
Martin