List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: questions regarding kwin --replace output
From:       Martin =?iso-8859-1?q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-03-10 19:13:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 10 March 2011 19:57:12 Giorgos Tsiapaliwkas wrote:
> first of all,thank you very much thomas for your answering my questions..
>
> On 09/03/2011, Thomas Lübking <thomas.luebking@gmail.com> wrote:
> > OpenGL 3.3 is the version detected on your system, it doesn't say
> > anything about the renderpath.
>
> Thanks,but why since kwin doesn't use this version,why it (kwin) refers to
> it?
We ask the driver "which version do you use?", the driver answers "foo" and we
write "foo" to the Konsole. It's an important debug information for us.

> Shouldn't be better to mention the actual version which kwin uses.
KWin does not pick a specific version. This is highly dynamic due to the
extension model. So it's totally possible that the driver claims to only
support OpenGL 1.5 but brings the extensions we use from OpenGL 2, so the GL 2
code path is taken.

The only API version where output and used version is guaranteed to be
identical is OpenGL ES 2.0.

Cheers
Martin