List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Physics Based Animator
From:       "Premeir Sullivan" <premiersullivan () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-28 21:19:26

I'm more familiar with openGL than XRender, I just assumed 3D rotation
was impossible or extremely inefficient with XRender.  I figured my
suggestion would be something that would only be enabled if openGL is
compiled in.

The reason why its a concern for me is when I began writing code that
used openGL, I realized that making calls to gl.rotatef() was easy;
the hard part was initializing openGL in the right way.  The only
openGL effect that I know of is the Coverswitch effect. I didn't want
to use the coverswitch code as a model because it radically rewrites
the rendering stack, whereas my plugin only needs to do one or two
rotations.  So I'm left with the question, what openGL initializations
are necessary and where should I put them?

I sent a copy of the code I was working on to this mailing list a
little while ago.  I have a new version saved in my dorm computer, but
I'm on vacation right now so they're in accessable.