List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Active Border for DesktopGrid
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2008-01-29 10:18:09

On Friday 25 of January 2008, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> I just implemented the feature request from Bug 155954. With this it is
> possible to use one corner to trigger desktop grid like the one in present
> window (see attached diff).

 The patch looks ok, it can go in.

 Maybe it would make sense to eventually turn this into a small helper class
in libkwineffects, so that it wouldn't have to be copy&pasted everywhere. Or,
to push this really a bit further, it could be integrated into KGlobalAccel,
allowing any global shortcut to work this way (although that'd be much more
work indeed).

> Unfortunatelly it is possible to choose the same corner in both effects
> (only one effect is triggered). But it would be nicer, if the user would
> receive a message dialog that the corner is allready used. I have not seen
> any possibility to use such a feature at the moment, as I don't know how to
> check which corners are allready reserved.

 There's no support for this at the moment. If you want to code this, I think
the right way would be adding support in libkwineffects for reserving a
border. Config modules would use this for checking and when it changes (I
think the defaults would have to be duplicated there though), and it would
store the setup in a config file.

 Hmm, that duplicates the setting in config as well though :-/. Ok, plan B:
The setting of borders is handled only by the library, all code using borders
will use something like read/writeBorder( <functionname> ), where
<functionname> can be e.g. "presentwindows.activate". Does that look ok?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer