List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: __GL_YIELD
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2007-05-09 19:52:15

On st 9. května 2007, Rivo Laks wrote:
> Ühel kenal päeval (reede 04 mai 2007) kirjutas Lubos Lunak:
> > On Thursday 03 of May 2007, Rivo Laks wrote:
> > > We did that in Boson (dlopen()ing libGL) and IIRC it wasn't very
> > > pretty/easy, so I'd avoid it if possible.
> >
> >  I'd expect it to be in theory just handling all OpenGL functions like we
> > handle extensions now, but I guess practice differs from theory then?
>
> No, but that's the problem: we'd need to add every single opengl function
> (well, at least the ones we use/will use) and maintain that list which
> would be quite a boring job, so I'd avoid it if possible ;-)

 Boring, yes. Not that difficult though I'd guess. But I'd like to avoid it
too :). I think this could be avoided using static constructors and specific
library order, we'd have some libkwinnvidiaglhack that'd set the variable
when initialized and KWin would link to it in a way that'd make it initialize
before libGL (specifying it after libGL on the link line should do).

> We should be able to use some code from Boson though, which makes it
> easier. BTW, with feature freeze approaching, is this one of the things
> that could be done after the freeze or not?

 I hope we can avoid this, but if this would be the case, it probably could be
done even after. It's rather separate, so there would be a way back, and it
could go in if it makes it in time. I expect we'll eventually have to sneak
in some features anyway, given the current status. The KWin maintainer should
have some say over this :). Simply use common sense here - I won't let in
risky things in the freeze, but reasonably safe/done/needed/whatever things
should be fine as long as its reasonable. And there still will be time after
4.0 of course.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer