List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: __GL_YIELD
From:       Rivo Laks <rivolaks () hot ! ee>
Date:       2007-05-11 12:46:42

Ühel kenal päeval (kolmapäev 09 mai 2007) kirjutas Lubos Lunak:
> On st 9. května 2007, Rivo Laks wrote:
> > Ühel kenal päeval (reede 04 mai 2007) kirjutas Lubos Lunak:
> > >
> > >  I'd expect it to be in theory just handling all OpenGL functions like
> > > we handle extensions now, but I guess practice differs from theory
> > > then?
> >
> > No, but that's the problem: we'd need to add every single opengl function
> > (well, at least the ones we use/will use) and maintain that list which
> > would be quite a boring job, so I'd avoid it if possible ;-)
>
>  Boring, yes. Not that difficult though I'd guess. But I'd like to avoid it
> too :). I think this could be avoided using static constructors and
> specific library order, we'd have some libkwinnvidiaglhack that'd set the
> variable when initialized and KWin would link to it in a way that'd make it
> initialize before libGL (specifying it after libGL on the link line should
> do).

Ok, if you think you can do it this way, go ahead :-)

> > We should be able to use some code from Boson though, which makes it
> > easier. BTW, with feature freeze approaching, is this one of the things
> > that could be done after the freeze or not?
>
>  I hope we can avoid this, but if this would be the case, it probably could
> be done even after. It's rather separate, so there would be a way back, and
> it could go in if it makes it in time. I expect we'll eventually have to
> sneak in some features anyway, given the current status. The KWin
> maintainer should have some say over this :). Simply use common sense here
> - I won't let in risky things in the freeze, but reasonably
> safe/done/needed/whatever things should be fine as long as its reasonable.
> And there still will be time after 4.0 of course.

Right.
BTW, FYI I'm working on the configuration dialog for the effects, though I'll
be very busy next week so don't expect to see anything yet. Just to make sure
noone will start working on the same thing.

Rivo