List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Compositing manager
From:       Zack Rusin <zack () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-20 12:20:58

Hi everyone,

I skimped over this thread and there's a lot of missinformation here so
I'll try to send a few replies clarifying how those things work. If you
have any further questions let me know.

On Friday 14 July 2006 21:24, Thomas Lübking wrote:
> Am Freitag, 14. Juli 2006 19:23 schrieb Matias Valdenegro T.:
> > I don't agree that Effects should work in all scenes, as OpenGL
> > compositing is very different in implementation and capabilities as
> > XRender compositing (See Shaders and GLSL).
>
> well, i do =)
> YES. XRender support is (currently more than) poor. Even nVidia's is
> broken on 7.1
> YES. XRender doesn't support shaders - but openGL < 2.0 (afaik)
> neither (you'd need to call some shader language. If i missed the
> part in the latter OpenGL API (i think the latest a took a look on
> was 1.3) - apologises, and please correct me)

Not quite. GLSL was introduced as an extension in 1.5 and is part of the
core OpenGL 2.0.

> However,
> 1. OpenGL won't be /real/ fun before a X server on top of OpenGL
> (like EGL) is (commnly and fully) avaliable (or the texture from
> pixmap extension is übergood)

That's not true at all. EGL based server is not going to happen for a
long time and is not needed for anything that composition manager
needs. Right now there's no adventage to having EGL underlaying the
server.

> 2. XRender could be accelerated in the future (i don't really believe
> anymore, but who knows...)

XRender is very well accelerated on ATI r200 and in the exa branch of
the intel driver.

> I guess what Lubos means is: Say you wanna scale a window down.
> Then scaling itself is part of the window manager (so afterwards the
> window is scaled and the WM/CM properly knows about), while the
> appereance of the scale (some swwwussshhhh FX, or the window could
> get punched, or rotate, or scale with different speed on each axis,
> or.....) is job to the FX plugin. Same on (un)mapping, movement,
> Desktop change or whatever.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. Remember that coordinate
transformation is going to most likely become part of the Composite
extension (Keith already has code for that).

Jesus is coming, everyone look busy.