List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Compositing manager
From:       Zack Rusin <zack () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-20 12:20:47

On Saturday 15 July 2006 00:07, Matias Valdenegro T. wrote:
> > 3. It's probably easy to maintain XRender code (especially on a
> > high level API, such as for a plugin ;) - it will just be damn slow
> > unless you've got XRender acceleration (and it's done in SW)
>
> Actually it might be, but i don't think so.
>
> Besides, how many people are using XRender

Well, every single application that you use on the desktop is. So I'd
say quite a few =)

> and how many are using OpenGL?

Not a lot. In fact very, very few. For example currently on my desktop I
don't have any such application running.

> The latter overpasses XRender by much.

I think you mean game developers here not desktops :)

> Anyway, an interesting question to ourselves is "Why everyone
> (Compiz, AIGLX, glcompmgr, etc) is using OpenGL and dropping XRender?

Well, AIGLX stands for  "accelerated indirect OpenGL for X". It wouldn't
be "accelerated indirect OpenGL for X" if you took the OpenGL part
away :) AIGLX has been an outstanding problem with our GLX
implementation, it just happens that fixing that issue opens some new
possibilities to us but is not really related to the discussion. Compiz
and glcompmgr use OpenGL mainly because of possibilities it gives you
(XRender only does perspective transformations, which to be honest are
enough to do a lot)

heuristic algorithm seeks stochasitc relationship