List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Compositing manager
From:       Zack Rusin <zack () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-20 12:21:20

On Monday 17 July 2006 20:37, Fredrik Höglund wrote:
>  I'm not sure if we can use QGLWidget in KWin.

Well, you can it just won't give you anything too useful =) QGLWidget is
a layer on top of platform specific windowing system bindings (GLX,
WGL, AGL). In here you want to use GLX directly effectively removing
the biggest purpose of QGLWidget.

> What KWin needs to do with regards to GL that's specific to a
> composite manager is to first create a composite overlay window,
> (XCompositeGetOverlayWindow.)

I'm not sure how much I like this approach. IMHO The proper approach is
to correctly handle IncludeInferiors in GLXFBConfigs. krh has a patch
for that already. I'd suggest leaving XComposite overlay window for
different purposes :)

> It's also important that KWin uses indirect rendering, rather than
> direct rendering, since otherwise the EXT_tfp extension won't work.

Well, technically that's what you'll get when using GLX.

A bash poem: time for echo in canyon; do echo $echo $echo; done