List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: [Kwin] KWin brekage: client_popup removal
From:       Cristian Tibirna <tibirna () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-09-03 12:07:40

On Tuesday, 03 September 2002 07:48, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> Lubos,
>
> your removal of client_popup breaks things, without me knowing what it was
> supposed to fix.

Damn it! _This_ is what I've forgotten to note in my TODO. I had observed that
the things went wrong with Lubos' patch, especially because we (me and
Matthias) already had discussed in Nurnberg about the exact same thing ("why
active_client != popup_client").

I believe the right way to fix this is to revert the popup_client patch, fix
the apps/situations where popup_client mechanism doesn't satisfy, and
_finally_ write an explanatory note about this design choice.

Hey! What about the following? Put a moratory on kwin code until after KDE-3.1
(with extensions as needed) and thus getting some time to write down a DESIGN
paper note. I know about a (very few) of KWin's internals. Matthias knows
more. Let's put all this knowledge in written. And finally have a solid base
for discussion before major architectural changes.

(This will even eventually drive us towards a Kwin v.3, with a goal in code
file modularity and clean-up).

Hope to hear from all involved.

CT