List:       kwin
Subject:    [Kwin] KWin brekage: client_popup removal
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2002-09-03 11:48:28

Lubos,

your removal of client_popup breaks things, without me knowing what it was
supposed to fix.

Your message was:

"Get rid of client_popup, as (not) discussed on kwin@.
This patch should fix such interesting things like closing the toplevel
menubar with Alt+F4 or moving Kicker to a different desktop using
keyboard shortcuts."

I wish this was discussed on kwin@. The real fix would have been to stop
close() from working on menubars and to make dock windows such as kicker not
movable with keyboard shortscuts.

The current fix introduces more problems that what it solves. Start xclock for
example, a window that does not take keyboard focus. Click on its system menu
button and select close. It won't close the xclock but instead the currently
active window: bummer.

having keyboard focus is not the same as having the window operations popup.

We could fix the issue by doing some kind of pseudo-activation with clients
such as xclock (or other dock windows that do not take focus like kicker).
But would that be better? If you e.g. click on kicker and by doing so lose
your active window? I doubt it.

Any ideas?

Matthias