List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: Completion-Interface
From:       Hamish Rodda <rodda () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-04-23 19:20:22

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 06:45:16 am Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> Am Samstag 19 April 2008 22:41:46 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > >
> > > But the implementation ASSUMES that the client needs a lot of stuff
> > > that is useless in more cases than useful.
> > >
> > > Requirements:
> > > * the list can not be a dialog. put your configuration buttons in the
> > > configuration dialog
> >
> > Yes, the ui is too complex. While its cool that we can provide all that
> > information I really think that when you want some completion you only
> > want to be able to pick the right entry, which means having the basic
> > needed information - for C++ thats the signature of the function or the
> > type and similar. For a code-snippet its probably the first n characters
> > of the text.
> >
> > > * Do not show empty widgets: NEVER display empty columns, NEVER display
> > > unnamed groups!
> >
> > I'm not even sure how to create unnamed groups right now, but not
> > providing any group name works fine. About the empty columns I don't
> > know. So far I didn't yet see an empty completion widget.
>
> Just enable the word-completion plugin of kate and start typing, it will
> often get empty, as soon as you start type a word it wants to complete but
> then continue to have no match, widget will stay, but empty.

This was a feature initially, I wanted to have it so you could press backspace
and get back to a list with some entries, but if you pressed two incorrect
characters it went away.  I think I talked with one of the other kate devs
about this.  Unfortunately I never got around to writing it as I was busy at
the time.

Regardless, should be an easy fix if we want.

Cheers,
Hamish.