List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: Completion-Interface
From:       Hamish Rodda <rodda () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-04-23 19:13:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 02:49:38 am Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> at the kate sprint, we looked at the completion interface. We think, to be
> maintainable, it must be redone.
>
> The current way locks a whole row of C++ specific stuff into the part. In
> our view (from the devs at the sprint), as much easier interface would be
> sufficient, which allows the handling of only one model per view but moves
> the whole logic to the user of the interface.
>
> My sketch would be:
>
> 1. new interface which allows only to register one completion model for a
> view

I thought it was a specific requirement of the code completion interface that
it supported multiple clients?  I worked hard to include that.

> 2. in addition, a delegate should be registered, to allow the app to
> handle the displaying

At the moment, I have implemented automatic syntax highlighting of completion
items as they would be if they were inline.  This works for all highlighting
schemes.  Without kate supplying the delegate, we would lose a useful
feature, or have to expose the data and force apps to write code which will
certainly be duplicated.

> That way, the whole filtering and sorting can be implemented in the app and
> the interface + implementation is small. The current >> 3000 lines of code
> are not acceptable for show a such simple thingy.

I'm waiting to see what David Nolden thinks, he was in two minds at the
kdevelop sprint.  Maybe filtering and sorting can move to the client app
without too much drama, but then you definitely lose supporting multiple
clients.

Certainly I don't want Kate to end up with something unmaintainable, but at
the same time I'm keen to see it support complex needs (eg. kdevelop)

Cheers,
Hamish.