List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: Indenter Interface
From:       Matt Rogers <mattr () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-02-02 13:32:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 02 February 2006 06:28, Anders Lund wrote:
> On Thursday 02 February 2006 02:40, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think it would be great if KTextEditor could provide an indenter
> > interface in KDE 4 so that the auto indenters don't have to be tied to a
> > specific interface implementation.
>
> That would be a great idea imo. Indenting could then be provided by
> plugins. :)
>
> Since it's a area of general interrest, i suggest that we discuss the
> interface here before submitting it, and that we get started soon enough
> that we can test it as much as possible before release.

Agreed. It's why I sent the mail in the first place. :)

> > I have a few questions first:
> >
> > 1. Is there a design document or anything anywhere about how to write a
> > new interface?
>
> No, but it's quite simple, just look at other indexes.
>
> > 2. Is this even possible? Does KTextEditor know enough about the document
> > and the text contained within to make an indenter interface plus one or
> > two default interface implementations worthwhile?
>
> The current indenters use information from the syntax highlighter, which
> isn't available in KTE. I don't know if that is absolutely nessecary,
> possibly we can add interface methods to know some basic things like if a
> specific position in the document is part of a comment. Alternatively, the
> interface could in in Katepart instead of KTE.

IMHO, indenting should be independent of highlighting, so I think we should
just add interface methods to know the basic things.

I'll try to get started on this, and will base my work on the current
auto-indenters in Kate. As I get something useful, i'll post code. :)

Thanks
--
Matt