List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: Indenter Interface
From:       Anders Lund <anders () alweb ! dk>
Date:       2006-02-02 12:28:39

On Thursday 02 February 2006 02:40, Matt Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think it would be great if KTextEditor could provide an indenter
> interface in KDE 4 so that the auto indenters don't have to be tied to a
> specific interface implementation.

That would be a great idea imo. Indenting could then be provided by
plugins. :)

Since it's a area of general interrest, i suggest that we discuss the
interface here before submitting it, and that we get started soon enough that
we can test it as much as possible before release.

> I have a few questions first:
>
> 1. Is there a design document or anything anywhere about how to write a new
> interface?

No, but it's quite simple, just look at other indexes.

> 2. Is this even possible? Does KTextEditor know enough about the document
> and the text contained within to make an indenter interface plus one or two
> default interface implementations worthwhile?

The current indenters use information from the syntax highlighter, which isn't
available in KTE. I don't know if that is absolutely nessecary, possibly we
can add interface methods to know some basic things like if a specific
position in the document is part of a comment. Alternatively, the interface
could in in Katepart instead of KTE.

-anders
--
www: http://alweb.dk