List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: Indenter Interface
From:       Dominik Haumann <dhdev () gmx ! de>
Date:       2006-02-03 11:55:51

On Thursday 02 February 2006 14:32, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Thursday 02 February 2006 06:28, Anders Lund wrote:
> > On Thursday 02 February 2006 02:40, Matt Rogers wrote:
[...]
> > > 2. Is this even possible? Does KTextEditor know enough about the
> > > document and the text contained within to make an indenter interface
> > > plus one or two default interface implementations worthwhile?
> >
> > The current indenters use information from the syntax highlighter,
> > which isn't available in KTE. I don't know if that is absolutely
> > nessecary, possibly we can add interface methods to know some basic
> > things like if a specific position in the document is part of a
> > comment. Alternatively, the interface could in in Katepart instead of
> > KTE.
>
> IMHO, indenting should be independent of highlighting, so I think we
> should just add interface methods to know the basic things.

I agree with you: Indentation should be highlighting independant.
With highlighting it is _much_ easier though, but it is probably
impracticable to export all the highlighting api.

> I'll try to get started on this, and will base my work on the current
> auto-indenters in Kate. As I get something useful, i'll post code. :)

Very cool. The autoindentation stuff is in kateautoindent.h. Some docs are
available on [1]. Parts that have to be taken care of
- provide indenter specific config page
- provide functions to get global indentation settings (tabs or spaces or
  mixed, indent width)

Do you have any plans to script indentation with lua/jscript?
C++ is nice, but you can't provide updates during releases.

Greetings,
Dominik

[1] http://www.kate-editor.org/index.php/Writing_Indenters