List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Default constructors for Cursor and Range
From:       Hamish Rodda <rodda () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-10-14 15:23:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

Someone (I think it might have been jowenn) suggested to me a while back that
the default constructor for cursors and ranges should create invalid
versions.  This makes quite a lot of sense to me.

My first question is, should we do this? (they currently create: cursor -
cursor at 0,0; range - range from 0,0 to 0,0)

If so, should we have a period of time where there is no default constructor,
to allow for porting?  (i'd say this is a necessity)

And, how long should that period be, or should we simply remove default
constructors all together?

I'm thinking we should do this, and scrap the default constructors for at one
revision of the kdelibs4_snapshot branch...

Oh, and a side question... should one invalid cursor always be equal to
another, or should they always be not equal, or should they simply act as per
their line and column numbers (invalid == negative line or cursor)?

Cheers,
Hamish.