List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    My Interfaces changes planed for KDE 4.0
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () babylon2k ! de>
Date:       2005-05-27 9:57:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

hi,
here my changes I would like to do in a while:

a) convert use of unsigned int to int, as QT has changed to use int in nearly all \
places, it atm is a hassle to  convert back to int in all loops, length compares and \
lookups, should make code more readable I guess

b) add an interface for some kind of "editor factory" or how ever to call it
    this will just a plain QObject which lets you create KTextEditor::Documents, it \
will avoid the current hassle  in kate to have around one global object for ever and \
speed up document creation for apps using it,  if the app devs still use the old way, \
nothing will break, but this will give a faster way ;)

c) remove the DCOP interfaces from the lib, really, this should be done per part, the \
current overhead of  10000ths interfaces isn't worth the hassle, and it will save us \
from the need for dpointers in the interfaces and  the duplicated ints all over, only \
the document and view itself should provide some number to the outside to make  \
handling easier ;) btw., perhaps should the int method just be part of interface and \
the implementation part should  take the effort to make it unique, in the mini \
implementation it would look like the current in ktexteditor, but I think  the \
interfaces should really be without any implementation at all inside

d) some little conflict solving and removing:
   - KTextEditor::Editor -> CU, this is the no view/doc seperation thing, it's just \
                not needed any more,
     yzis/kate supports it, and it's not that nice as the static queryMethodes don't \
cover it and it's a hack,  away :)

   - SessionConfigInterface and ConfigInterface overlap, the readSessionConfig... \
should be removed from ConfigInterface

   - CursorInterface: not sure, wasn't that usable in the current state, perhaps we \
should remove this now, and readd  later a usable one, if we have all come up with \
one ;)

  - DynWordWrapInterface -> TRASH, not needed, this is part internal stuff, why \
should host app want to enforce that,  bypassing the users config, it has no effect \
on text content, not like the static word wrap, which might be needed to  enforce ;)

  - PrintInterface -> CU, user action, too

  - UndoInterface -> CU, user action, too, + config stuff

  - ViewStatusMsgInterface -> CU, this contains only one signal, and is not that \
usable at all, as nobody knows whats in  this, if we really need this, we should note \
down in the KTextEditor::View which "non-interface" related signals parts  should \
provide, just some comment would be sufficient, as this signal connection is nothing \
we do at compile time

e) merge some of the interfaces, which will avoid the current blow up of them ;)
   - EditInterface + Ext -> EditInterface, the editBegin()/editEnd() transaction \
                methodes won't hurt to be in the basic
     editing interface, if the part doesn't support it, it should just do nothing \
there :)

   -  selection interface + ext + blockselection interface -> SelectionInterface
      + this is FOR VIEW this time ;)

   - Clipboard Interface -> SelectionInterface, as this is for VIEW, too, and \
                selection is per view, makes sense
     to collect this selection related 2 methodes in the SelectionInterface, too, no \
                need for seperate, each
     editor supporting selection should have no probs with copy/paste/cut and co, not \
                even sure if anybody
     uses this, but hey, if this are just 3 methodes in a interface, this won't hurt, \
if it stays seperate, it will ;)

  - ConfigInterface + ConfigInterfaceExtension, simple merge, guess after the \
                conversion to int, the configPages()
     counter should just return -1 if this part doesn't allow to emebed individual \
config pages ;)

  - MarkInterface + Extension -> MarkInterface

  - ViewCursorInterface -> CursorInterface, makes no sense to prefix, this is for \
view just, and good ;)  if ever a other cursor interface for editing purpose comes \
up, this should be EditCursor or CursorEdit or whatever

This would be all cleanup changes I have to propose ATM, this doesn't really change \
any function, just cleaning up the stuff, which has grown to some lets say "not that \
small" amount ;)

cu
Christoph

--
Christoph Cullmann
KDE Developer, kde.org Maintainance Team