List:       kpovmodeler-devel
Subject:    CSG & Detail
From:       Leon Pennington <leon () leonscape ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-10-21 22:07:53

Hi,

Finished all the working out now, last version of the demo, is up. Decided to
work on a diffrent way of removing extra lines, its quicker, and makes the
tessellation faster as well.

I was thinking of making, the CSG calculations optional within the CSG
properties box, and having two modes. So its either off, manual update, or
automatic update. Therefore if the system starts to lag due to a very deep
setup, or simply because of size, it can be turned off, or only updates when
you press update in the properties dialog.

Global detail
I was looking at the display settings for objects, and had an idea. the values
currently in the setttings would be used for the lowest detail settings, and
each subsequent level up increase the detail by half the original values, so
on the spheres for instance, If the display settings are 4, 8, the detail
settings would produce spheres, at these settings

Very Low : 4, 8
Low : 6, 12
Medium: 8, 16
High: 10, 20
Very High 12, 24

I was thinking of displaying these values in the settings dialog so the user
knows what there getting. Also if they have a fast system, you can increase
the display settings, and all the detail levels are still useful.

As for individual objects, I was thing of adding a new class derived from
namedobject, and making graphicalobject derive from it. This would handle the
individual detail, and global detail values. It would have a virtual function
which when overridden allows sub objects to activate it.

This is the plan, of course this is subject to change, I'll shut up now :o)

--
Leon Pennington

"If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day; if you
teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime."