List:       kpovmodeler-devel
Subject:    Re: CSG & Detail
From:       Leon Pennington <leon () leonscape ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-10-29 1:50:42

Hi again,

Commited the detailObject, and altered Heightfield and Sphere to work with it.

Now adding faces to these objects, the others will follow.

I've obviousley had to alter the way the object generates its viewStructure,
but also in Sphere the defaultViewStructure, the main changes are:-

1. Inherited virtual function hasDisplayDetail() is added to return true.

2. viewStructureParameterKey key function now looks like
virtual int viewStructureParameterKey( ) const { return s_parameterKey +
globalDetailKey(); }

So global detail changes affect the viewStructures. I obviously can't alter
s_parameterKey, in the sub objects, so I though this would be the best way to
propogate the global detail change.

3. In defaultViewStructure for sphere ( and any other objects similar ) it
checks the parameter keys, instead of just the exsistance of the
defaultViewStructure, in the defaultViewStructure function. This is so global
detail changes affect the default, because I can't delete its
defaultViewStructure from another object.

When I say I can't in 2, and 3, I mean not easily and without things getting
really messy :)

I wanted global detail levels to affect the defaultViewStructure of Sphere, as
this is obviously the best way to conserve memory.

--
Leon Pennington

"If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day; if you
teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime."