List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: Kopete hacking
From:       Benson Tsai <btsai () vrwarp ! com>
Date:       2010-07-22 16:29:22

Okay, lets put it this way. You are completely wrong about vertical
space being "more important" than horizontal space. Consider for a
moment the implications of using up the vertical space. It means the
view to your buddy list becomes all the slight smaller. Now the
consequence of that is you see less contacts at any given time. BUT
that isn't a problem because most people who have been using any
instant messenger for a while probably has a buddy list that is larger
than the size of the view which means the presence of the vertical
scroll bar is inevitable. OTOH, if you try to take up horizontal space
instead, since you can't efficiently pack it you end up wasting a ton
more space than necessary. Also, please note that I provided that
example because it is a case where someone went towards the UI you're
proposing and then backed out of it.

Please explain why my contact list isn't easy to use. I agree that it
isn't a lot of bling but that is a separate issue.

--Benson