List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: Kopete hacking
From:       dantti85-dev () yahoo ! com ! br
Date:       2010-07-22 15:39:00

> Having tabs optionally is probably good. They could be used for
> more than one identity. However, I dislike them. Maybe sometime in the
> future I'll use one "work" identity and one "private" identity that I don't
> want to mix, but for now I prefer the current unified
> window.

That's why the idea is to show a top tab like
[ ALL ] [ work ] [ private ]
where ALL mix your identities,

> I think the best
> approach would be to fix minor annoyances of Kopete first (account setup
> etc.).

Talking with boiko he said basically the same thing, I think before I try to put
kopete upside down I should fix minor stuff.

What do you think of doing account setup in the contact list:
 - hide the contact list
 - show a list of protocols, with two lines (and an icon on the left):
   Jabber
   <small>Use for Gtalk....</small>
   Windows live!..
   <small>Use for msn...</small>
   Then user name and pass, plus the auto connect option.

> Another approach could be to ignore Kopete alltogether and work on
> Telepathy front-ends (though I'm not sure if that's a good way to go -- just
> presenting the option):

Some time ago I tried to create a replacement to twinkle (qt3) using telepathy
and I simply dislike it at all, dbus qt4 doesn't support all stuff (i think it's called tubes),
I think Kopete has a nice code base (afaik all in cpp), what concerns me most
is it's UI.