List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: Kopete hacking
From:       dantti85-dev () yahoo ! com ! br
Date:       2010-07-22 14:27:55

> De: Benson Tsai <btsai@vrwarp.com>
> To be honest, the screen shot looks like a way big step backwards.
> Plus it totally looks.. inspired by the current version msn:

> http://tinyurl.com/msncontactlist . If you're looking in that direction
> for UI inspirations, then if you look at live messenger wave
> http://tinyurl.com/msnwave4), you will notice that they have done
> away with that vertical bar. The vertical bar not only looks ugly but
> for your use, wastes a lot of space in general.

Well msn is not multiprotocol, and those tabs are links to M$ services.
If you look at the new MSN UI that tab went to the bottom, wasting
vertical space which is far more important.
99% of the people don't use the contact list of IM full screen so
width is always available.

>The idea of filtering by account
> is nice but I think it might make more sense just to look into the idea of
> having multiple views for the contact list. Views being anything from simply
> a filtered view to something more fancy like a list of contacts that you talk
> to more often. What is cool is that since the contact list already uses
> amodel-view design, each view can probably be implemented as a
> fancy proxy between the model and view.

In fact that the way I would implement that is really just a proxy that
can setAccountFilter(...). which is usually dam simple.

> By "remove" menu, I hope you
> mean hide it by default. I think there might be some issue with kopete not
> remembering to keep the menu hidden across sessions but that shouldn't be
> hard to fix if it were the case.

By remove I mean move and remove, remove from the title bar, save only the
useful items and put it into a push button with a menu that have things like
quit/configure/help.

> All in all, I feel like how my contact list is currently set up a far
> cleaner and space efficient than what you're proposing. Here is a
screenshot:
>http://tinyurl.com/mykopete

My contact list looks just like yours and it's not eye candy nor
easy to use.