List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: Kopete hacking
From:       Markus Slopianka <markus.s () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2010-07-22 15:14:51

On Thursday 22 July 2010 15:53:05 dantti85-dev@yahoo.com.br wrote:

> I was sure not everyone would like the tabbed contact list.
> I never tried the lancelot component (since I don't like lancelot),
You don't need to use the Lancelot menu. You just need to add the menu and
then drop the contacts component somewhere else, eg. a vertical panel.
This has the advance to get things like autohide, maximized windows not
overlapping the panel, or transparency eyecandy basically for free.
I suggest that you try the Lancelot component out. If the basic concept suits
you, you could enhance it into a completely separate Plasmoid.

> but I must say most users (dummy ones) don't know how to play with
> plasmoids,

I think thanks to Mac OS X Dashboard and Vista's Gadgets many people get used
to the concept. Also some distributions may even enable that setup by default
(Kubuntu claims to be extra socially connected by default).

> and I if you look at Adium (Mac OS IM) it can have
> a transparent UI which people just love it.

I love Adium. In fact it's the only messenger I like more than Kopete.
Yeah, it's themable contact list feature is nice and it could be integrated
into Kopete without sacrificing the current GUI. The current GUI could be just
another "theme" in a theme selection tab of Kopete's settings.

I think the best approach would be to fix minor annoyances of Kopete first
(account setup etc.).

Another approach could be to ignore Kopete alltogether and work on Telepathy
front-ends (though I'm not sure if that's a good way to go -- just presenting
the option):
http://community.kde.org/Real-Time_Communication_and_Collaboration

Markus