List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: Kopete hacking
From:       dantti85-dev () yahoo ! com ! br
Date:       2010-07-22 14:15:20

> De: Volker Härtel <cyberbeat@gmx.de>
> I also don't like the proposed gui changes.

> - Vertical space is no
> problem for me, and can be saved by hiding the menu (ctrl+M) and making
> contacts use only one row, see my contact-list:
> >http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1390/kopetelist.jpg
> - transparency
> you can have with desktop effects, or in detail-window/program-setup specific
> for every window (right click on title-bar).

Hiding the menu is not a fix for useless entries and is not user friendly ctrl + m is
not known by everyone.
The contact list can be one line since kde 4.0 (talking about qt/kde4 versions) afaik.
I'm not talking about opacity or making the whole UI transparent,
I'm talking about the background of the list be like Konsole, that's not
usability that is eye candy.

> I would propose some
> other small changes, which would make kopete more intuitive:
> - F2 shortcut for renaming contacts inline
> - when protocol icons are shown in contact list,
> and chat is started via click (or double click),
> click on protocol icon of a contact should open a chat in specified protocol.
> This is especially important for sending offline messages, if you know your
> contact prefers one protocol over another.
> - it should be possible to directly choose contact-photos from
> harddisk, and not having to load AND find(!) them
in an extra list (this list
> is totally useless in my opinion, or does somebody can tell me a
> usecase?)

I totaly agree with you and this should not be so hard to implement.

>Besides that, I find kopetes gui much more comfortable and
> configurable than other clients like
> pidgin/miranda/..

I find it too but I'm talking be really easy and to be easy you friend that
don't like pc's must find it easy too, and ALL my friends hate kopete
and just use aMSN in addition to pidgin in gtalk case.