List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: Kopete hacking
From:       dantti85-dev () yahoo ! com ! br
Date:       2010-07-22 14:02:08

> I like the idea of making the user interface simpler, however I don't think
> this mockup brings Kopete to a more usable state:

> - Identity is a very complex term that most people just don't get in
> combination with the accounts concepts
> - The original Kopete idea was to hide the protocols as much
> as possible, and those tabs just make the whole thing much more
> visible

I understand the hide part, but on the other hand you will never
free user from the need to know which protocol they are using.
why?
You want to add foo@hotmail.com you need to know to which
msn account you want to add it...

So the account setup as Markus said is also one of the parts
where users find it hard to understand, by having tabs
you can just add a new tab which will become a add new account
and that's done.

About the identity stuff i find it very complex to understand because
to me the idea is wrong. Why would I want to add a new Identity if
I can chose a picture to each protocol (I should at least),
a nick to each protocol ...?
Now when I tried to understand the concept I saw that to me (I MIGHT be wrong)
if was a workaround to seting up nicks and pics which does not make
any sense to me.

To me an identity is like a friend in your house that want to use your
computer to chat with some friends, or a family member that will
be gone in 2 days. You don't want to setup a new computer
account for him so you add a friend identity with his protocols
and when using the pc he click on his tabs and see only his contacts
and his accounts.